Q: Coolant leakage around the EGR cooler

recently went to VW workshop, they are saying there is a sign of coolant around EGR cooler, what does that mean. How serious is the issue and will it cost just to investigate? would be appreciate if you could help.

Your EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) cooler is a small heat exchanger through which the exhaust passes before it is re routed to the intake. Some model cars pass coolant through the device while others are simply air cooled. A coolant leak at the EGR cooler should be treated as any other leak in that it shouldn’t be ignored. A small leak today could be a large leak tomorrow that could leave you stranded. It’s better to deal with it now on your own terms than to have to try to solve it in an emergency situation. You need to know exactly where the leak is before you can get a proper estimate. It could be a hose replacement, of the cooler itself may need replacing. Your Mechanic can send a technician to your home or office to pressure test your cooling system and tell you just what it is going to take to solve your problem.

3. Coolant leakage around the EGR cooler