Q: Signal lights not turning off

Signal lights won't turn off after the car is running. It would continuously staying on either on the left or on the right even after it is in a neutral position.

A: Hi there. The stalk control (the steering c...

Hi there. The stalk control (the steering column mounted turn signal lever) even though it has physically returned to the neutral or "off" position has switch contacts within which may be sticking closed. Either that or elsewhere the circuit has shorted to ground thus establishing a continuous powered circuit that has bypassed the on/off switch in the stalk.

If the switch on the steering column is implicated though, that requires disassembly. Please note, if by chance you attempt to work in the area of the steering column yourself, you absolutely MUST disable the air bag in the steering column, per the specific instructions and protocol in the Factory Service Manual (FSM). Otherwise, you run the risk of the airbag deploying on you while you work on the steering column. If the airbag deploys while you are close to it, you could be seriously injured or even killed. If you would like to have this scoped out, a certified professional from YourMechanic can diagnose the relevant electrical components so that this can be repaired.