Q: Sifter floats from gear to gear and when letting out the clutch there is no response.

Driving in 4th gear coming up to red light put it in 3rd gave it gas and I could feel no response from the car. Coasted to the side of the road to see the problem. Sifter goes from gear to gear but it doesn't feel like its able to fall in gear. can have clutch out and shift through the gears with no response. A friend mentioned maybe the linkage is jammed up so I need some input please.

Hi there. Either the clutch has failed causing the transmission not to engage in any gear, or the transmission shifter plastic rings broke and will not engage the shifter. Check the clutch and make sure that it is moving when the pedal is pressed down. If the fork on the bell housing is moving and the wheels can be moved when the clutch pedal is depressed and then the wheels not moving when the pedal is let up, then the clutch should be in an okay shape. Most likely the plastic rings on the shifter housing has broke and making the shifter move around. If you need further assistance with the shifter moving around too much, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you.

• Sifter floats from gear to gear and when letting out the clutch there is no response.