Q: Shutting off and difficult startup - 1978 Jeep CJ5

After having replaced the rods and lifters, I drove my jeep briefly and it just shut off. I checked the jeep, and found the fuel filter to be dry. So, I had the fuel pump replaced. The jeep now runs but not well. Upon startup, it begins shaking in the carburetor area so I have to get the engine running and get out quickly to cover the carburetor. When I cover it with my hands, it works well. In order to rev the engine up, I have to play with the throttle. I would get some more air if I move my fingers a bit. But, if I move the throttle, the jeeps shuts off. When it idles, there is a loud air sucking noise. What could be the issues?

Hey there, thanks for writing in. It sounds like you may have a large vacuum leak. Ensure the PCV system is hooked up correctly and that there are no broken or damaged vacuum lines. A smoke check of the induction system may need to be carried out to find the source of the air leak. You may want to enlist the help of a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and expertise to pinpoint the source of the unmetered air leak and diagnose the stalling issue.

3. Shutting off and difficult startup - 1978 Jeep CJ5