Q: Shutting off and difficult startup - 1978 Jeep CJ5

After having replaced the rods and lifters, I drove my jeep briefly and it just shut off. I checked the jeep, and found the fuel filter to be dry. So, I had the fuel pump replaced. The jeep now runs but not well. Upon startup, it begins shaking in the carburetor area so I have to get the engine running and get out quickly to cover the carburetor. When I cover it with my hands, it works well. In order to rev the engine up, I have to play with the throttle. I would get some more air if I move my fingers a bit. But, if I move the throttle, the jeeps shuts off. When it idles, there is a loud air sucking noise. What could be the issues?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in. It sounds...

Hey there, thanks for writing in. It sounds like you may have a large vacuum leak. Ensure the PCV system is hooked up correctly and that there are no broken or damaged vacuum lines. A smoke check of the induction system may need to be carried out to find the source of the air leak. You may want to enlist the help of a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and expertise to pinpoint the source of the unmetered air leak and diagnose the stalling issue.