Q: Shuddering while shifting, ocassional starting issues. 2000 Mazda B4000

The truck has troubles starting when the engine is still cold. It usually occurs on the first startup in the morning after it sat for the night. However, If I turn the key in the ignition and keep it in the starting position for a while, the car would quickly start up. Also, I've noticed that the truck start shuddering in the area of drivetrain, when I'm increasing the speed usually from being stopped at the traffic light. The shifting from first into second gear is kind or rough. This shuddering also occurs if I brake hard or during downshifting to first gear as well. What kind of repairs could I expect to be needed?

Hello. There could be a problem with the ignition lock and key cylinder or the ignition switch itself. This may make the car hard to start.

A worn drive shaft, worn driveshaft carrier bearings, faulty gears in the differential, and/or warped rotors could cause a shudder when braking. Another possibility is that the transmission mount or engine mounts are weak or broken causing a shudder. Before repairs are done, I think you should have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the suspension, brakes, drivetrain, and ignition systems to resolve the starting and shuddering issues.

• Shuddering while shifting, ocassional starting issues. 2000 Mazda B4000