Q: Should the distributor turn with the cap on?

Truck runs for a few seconds and cuts off. Took cap off but can't tighten back down. The part that the cap screwed into guess it the distributor is turning with the cap on is that suppose happen? The rotary I can't.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. The distributor ...

Hi, thanks for writing in. The distributor assembly should not be loose. You will need to have the timing reset and the distributor tightened down. The distributor module or stator may need to be replaced or the loose distributor is causing all the problem. If you would like help getting this looked at, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.