Q: Should I replace the timing belt on my car?

My car has over 100,000 miles on it, and I have never had the timing chain replaced. Is that something that I should have replaced? What are the odds of the chain breaking? If it were to break, is the 1.8 L engine an interference or noninterference engine? Any input is helpful.

A: Unlike a timing belt, the timing chain is d...

Unlike a timing belt, the timing chain is designed to last the life of the vehicle. Of course, like any other mechanical component, there is the chance it could break.

Replacing the timing chain is a big job, so unless you are experiencing symptoms that indicate it is stretched or failing, I would leave it alone.

If the timing chain were to ever break, this is an interference engine. Here is a good article describing the symptoms of a failing timing chain