Q: Should I have to force the thermostat spring all the way down to get it to lock into the housing on a 2010 equinox

I have replaced my thermostat in my 2010 chevy equinox. When I removed the housing unit the old thermostat was locked in between two groves on each side of the housing so that's how I put the new one in but it took alot to get the spring maxed out the fit I he groves. Is this normal, to me the theromstat is open

This is normal when installing an aftermarket thermostat into the factory housing. The factory one comes with a new housing since the lock tabs will break as the housing ages. If you got it locked in place and it works as it should then you will be okay. If you have any overheat or not getting to operating temperature then replace housing with new thermostat in it.

3. Should I have to force the thermostat spring all the way down to get it to lock into the housing on a 2010 equinox