Q: Should I have to force the thermostat spring all the way down to get it to lock into the housing on a 2010 equinox

I have replaced my thermostat in my 2010 chevy equinox. When I removed the housing unit the old thermostat was locked in between two groves on each side of the housing so that's how I put the new one in but it took alot to get the spring maxed out the fit I he groves. Is this normal, to me the theromstat is open

3. Should I have to force the thermostat spring all the way down to get it to lock into the housing on a 2010 equinox