Q: Should I buy a car a 2005 kid spectrum with the timing tensioner needing to be replaced

Should I buy a car a 2005 kia spectrum with the timing tensioner needing to be replaced

The timing belt tensioner on any engine should be replaced whenever the timing belt is replaced. A tensioner that needs replacement is not really a reason to pass this vehicle by if it is in good condition and the price is right. This is a normal maintenance component. The correct way to go about it is to do a timing belt replacement. I always recommend going about it in the manner I have done with my own vehicles. Typically I replace: timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, as well as drive belts like the a/c, alternator, power steering,etc. Anything that is a maintenance item that has to be removed to replace the timing belt and tensioner, should all be replaced at the same time. The labor cost would be the same. You’re simply adding new parts in place of the old ones you removed. For example, if you change the timing belt but not the water pump because it "looks good", and 5,000 miles down the road the water pump fails, you are pretty much paying the same labor amount all over again. Replacing the water pump while the timing belt service is being done, only adds the cost of the part - the new water pump. Also, replacing these components after you buy the car (if you decide to) will give you peace of mind. You will not have to guess when the belt was last replaced or how much longer you can go before replacing it. This is an interference engine. That means the valves and pistons occupy the same space. The timing belt keeps everything turning in the proper "time" so they do not hit each other. If the timing belt breaks, the valves and pistons will collide and cause thousands of dollars in damage to the engine. If the vehicle is in good condition otherwise and you’re comfortable with the price, doing a complete timing belt service when you get it will give you peace of mind for the next 60,000 miles before it needs to be replaced again.

3. Should I buy a car a 2005 kid spectrum with the timing tensioner needing to be replaced