Q: Shifting problem

The car won't go into second gear. When I put the car in drive and accelerate the car will not switch into second gear and it won't go over 20 mph. The car will go into park, reverse, and neutral. I checked the transmission fluid and the fluid is not low but I haven't gotten the transmission serviced in about 8 years. I'm completely lost and need help.

A: This may be a sign of low transmission flui...

This may be a sign of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to more specifically determine the cause for this.