Q: shifter wont engage

I have an 96 olds cutlass ciera. I put into reverse and when I went to put into park the shifter was flopping around. I cant get out of reverse. I unplugged the battery so my back up lights wont drain the battery. help please.

pin was loose at base of shift lever. so I took out and put back in. no luck. same problem. cant seem to get shifter to engage and put back into park or drive or what have you.

You may have to align the shift lever collar and lever correctly before you put the pin in. The shift color may have been broken. If you go under the dash by the brake pedal and look at the linkage to see if you can move it to park and then try putting lever back in. If you cannot fix it then have a mechanic come to inspect your shifting issue to see if the column is damaged or the shift lever can be reinstalled for you.

3. shifter wont engage