Q: Shifter only works when I use the gear shift release button.

Cannot shift into gear. The shifter seems stuck, but I can use the gear shift release button to shift.

During normal shifter operation on these vehicles a click sound can be heard when depressing the brake pedal before shifting. If this click sound is not heard, the shift release solenoid, the control module for it, or its wiring has a malfunction. When you are pressing that button you are manually overriding the shift release solenoid. Have an inspection performed on the shifter and all related parts by a mechanic and then have all necessary parts replaced or repaired.

3. Shifter only works when I use the gear shift release button.