Q: Shifter not changing gears

The gears won't shift out of park, though the shifter does from park to neutral to drive very easily. It is almost like the shifter is disconnected from the gears inside the gear box.

A: This is a common issue. The shifter in the ...

This is a common issue. The shifter in the car is connected via a cable to the actual lever on the transmission. The cables usually use a plastic clip to hold them in place. Over time the clip breaks and the cables come off the lever. The symptom is almost identical to what you are describing. A physical inspection of the cable is necessary to verify. A mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, should be able to inspect why the car won’t shift out of park, verify the cable is the issue, and repair it if this is the case.