Q: Shifter knob locked into neutral

I drive a 1998 jeep wrangler 4cyl with a manual transmission. I accidentally left my jeep in 4x4 High and drove down the highway for a day. When I attempted to downshift the shifter knob would not go into gear. It will not leave neutral no matter what gear I try to put it in whether the car is started or turned off. The engine still turns over and the wheels still turn because I had to push it off the road. What could be the problem?

Hi there. Try shutting off the engine and turning on the power but do not start the engine. Leave the transmission in neutral and try to shift the transfer case into neutral. If you can put it into neutral, then crank the engine over and start it. Put the transmission in gear with the clutch in and slightly let off the clutch, but not all the way. Then push in the clutch all the way and try to shift the transfer case into 2H. If the transfer case goes into gear, then let off the clutch and see if the vehicle moves. If the vehicle moves without any issues or noises, then your vehicle is okay. If your vehicle does not move, then there could be an issue with the transfer case or the front axle. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your[vehicle not moving when the transfer case is in gear.