Q: Shifter doesn't move like it should.

Shifter will not move. While I can use the brake release to shift out of park, the shifter doesn't shift like it should.

A: Hello and thanks for the question. The fact...

Hello and thanks for the question. The fact that you can shift it out of park tells us that the interlock is working. You could have a faulty cable which is either broke or sticking, and your shifter itself could be at fault. And last and the least likely would be a problem internal to the transmission itself. A mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to determine the cause and get you back on the road. But in order to do so, this process may require the disassembly of your console or column to access the point where the cable attaches to shifter.