Q: Shift link or axle issue

Tonight while driving my car started to act like the transmission was slipping. I got no further than another 1/2 mile down the road and my car would no longer move. The car will rev up but thats it. My husband and I were able to move the car to a parking lot. When I restarted my car and shifted into drive I heard a clicking noise. When shifted back into park a gear grinding sound was noticeable. Before this issue I had been having a clunking that shook my car. I had the rotors replaced, tie rod replaced, found a broken engine mount that was also replaced. Each time the clunking would get better for a little bit but return with a vengeance. The clunking was very apparent when accelerating esp up a hill and at 35 mph and would even out at 60-70 mph. 3 days ago it went away temporarily and then yesterday it returned until todays issues.

Hello, thanks for your question. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle has suffered some sort of transmission-related mechanical issue. Transmission grinding and popping is usually an indicator that the transmission has developed some sort of internal issue. Perhaps the gears or valve body are worn and no longer able to properly hold power. As the vehicle appears to be unable to operate, I would recommend having it looked at by a professional technician for the most accurate diagnosis.

3. Shift link or axle issue