Q: Shift lever does not move

The shift lever does not move, and I do not have a "smart entry remote" that apparently has a built-in-key release for the shift lever.

A: I would start by verifying that your brake ...

I would start by verifying that your brake lights are working. If they are not, you will not be able to shift out of gear. Otherwise, it could be an issue with your key or a frozen component. An inspection from a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can help you determine why your shift lever is malfunctioning. They will also be able to perform any repairs that are necessary to get your car safely back on the road.