Q: Severe damage to rim impacting brake system

While driving on the highway at 70 mph, I thought my truck had a tire blowout on the right rear wheel. It was a level, flat road with no debris and was a clear day. I wasn't hauling or towing any load and I was the only one in the truck. I changed the tire, using the spare expecting to see a large bolt of nail in it. What I found was that the tire was undamaged and in good condition. I was told later that the factory rim had failed. The wheel was also intact with no damage and all other parts of the car were fine, except for the severe damage to the right rear rim which impacted the brake system so hard that it bent parts and caused brake fluid leakage. Before having this repaired, I would like your diagnosis and any suggestions/advice that you could give me. Thanks.

A: Wow, a rim failure like that can be a scary...

Wow, a rim failure like that can be a scary issue. It is recommended that you call GM customer service and file a report with them since your car is still most likely under warranty. They may send a rep out to the dealer to look and see what went wrong. Plus, having this problem documented may help if there are any issues down the road. If you would rather have this checked by an independent mechanic, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect your brake system and rims to let you know what should be done.