Q: Several warning lights, overheated, weird noise and bad smell after being jump started.

It wouldn't start after I made a stop and shut it off. Battery, ABS, air bag and brake lit up on dash prior to stopping. Now ESC and ESC OFF are flashing, can't move shift from park, engine overheated and weird noise plus bad burning rubber smell

A: Hello, My name is Jordan and I would like t...

Hello, My name is Jordan and I would like to try and help you the best I can. There are a few possibilities with the symptoms you are having. The most common with what you have described is you may have attached the jumper cables incorrectly. This could cause a number of issues including the symptoms you are having now.

In some cases it will short out the connections in the ECM, However in other cases it will reverse the polarity in the whole vehicle. The way to test if the polarity has been switched is to turn the turn signal switch to left turn, if the right tail lights illuminate you have reversed the polarity and probably shorted out the ECM.

Another possibility is the timing belt could be broken or jumped timing. This would cause multiple lights to appear on the dash and vehicle to not run or not run correctly.

If you need assistance, I would recommend the opportunity to have a technician come out and take a look at the vehicle. Feel free to set up an appointment with one of our mobile technicians who can come to your home in order to properly diagnose the warning lights and the other symptoms you've described to avoid any unnecessary repairs. Thank you for choosing YourMechanic.