Q: Several days after replacing a broken belt on my 2001 Toyota Camry, the outer toothed-ring on the harmonic balancer fell off.

Several days after replacing a broken Alt/AC Belt, on 2001 Toyota Camry 5SFE - L4-2.2L, the outer toothed-ring on the CS pulley [crankshaft harmonic balancer ?] fell off while starting and/or driving car. Does this typically happen with new belt?? The rubber ring insert ring is still on the center pulley and looks ok. How is the outer toothed-ring attached to the rubber/pulley and can it be reinstalled and is this a very difficult job? It doesn't show any damage either, or can the ring be reused?? My car has 115000 miles. If the whole assembly must be replaced, how much would the repair cost? Thanks for your help.

A: The grooved ring you are speaking of is usu...

The grooved ring you are speaking of is usually bonded or glued to the rest of the balancer assembly. Once the harmonic balancer shows signs of coming apart, it must be replaced. The ring may have been working it’s way off before and caused the damage to the old belt. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out and asses any damages from the harmonic balancer and offer a more personal diagnosis and repair estimate.