Q: Service engine soon light on BMW

One morning I was in a rush, it was really cold out. I started my car and just took off instead of warming her up like usual..get down the road not far and my service engine soon light comes on and my car begins to run roughly? Did I just cause myself to have to get a tune up or worst? She has over 110000 miles but until this day she has been running like a champion. I also had some work done in July on the engine. Can I please be given advice to what this issue maybe and what type of money I should get prepared to spend in fixing this issue. Thank you.

Hi there - you have multiple potential problems. The BMW "service engine" is driven by 2 functions. The most critical, is by problem codes which will turn on your Check Engine light. the second condition is driven by the amount of fuel consumed, driven (pun intended) by your right foot. Drive enthusiastically, "service engine" light comes on more quickly than from conservative driving. I would recommend an engine inspection to determine what is causing the rough running, by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Service engine soon light on BMW