Q: Seat problem, seems like a quaity issue

I have a problem with my 2006 Ford Mustang that doesn’t affect safety or performance and yet still manages to be extremely inconvenient. You see, in a car with just 2 doors and 4 seats, you need passengers to pop the passenger seat forward and climb into the back. The handle that makes the seat do that? Yeah, that broke. How do I even repair that? Buy a new seat? Not too happy with this, my Mustang only has 50,000 miles on it! I have to let passengers in through my side now and I have to adjust the driver’s seat every time I drive it.

A: I do understand having to let passengers en...

I do understand having to let passengers enter the back seats through your driver’s door can be extremely inconvenient and very frustrating. The good news is that this issue can be easily corrected.

From what you mentioned, it sounds like only the passenger seat back lever handle is broken. If so, that means the rod is still there and you only need a new handle.

You can start by confirming that the rod is still connected and if you pull the rod the seat back will fold as designed. If so, you can either buy the new handle from the Ford dealer (which would be the same kind that is breaking) or buy a set online which has options for a aluminum type handle that is a bit longer for better grip and strength.

If the rod is not working correctly, an inspection should be done to the seat back to see if it can be repaired or if the seat back unit needs to be replaced. Most of the time, the problem is only the handle and not the rod.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can diagnose the handle situation and make sure the repair is quick and thorough.