Q: Scion XB getting 50 percent less miles than it should

My wife has a 2004 Scion XB. It’s getting 50 percent less miles per gallon that it should be getting. There's neither idling nor misfire, and has a new air filter. What could it be?

A: I had so many customers come to me saying t...

I had so many customers come to me saying they get a bad gas mileage so they let me take a ride with them. I take a ride with them and they take off from the stop sign and slam their brakes when they stop. I say ’’You are lucky you’re getting a gas mileage as it is.’’

I’ll give you an example. Couple of years before, I had a Shelby Cobra, that had 660 horse power and it was rated at 50 miles a gallon. I got 3 miles a gallon as I drove it pretty hard. If it runs perfectly fine at idle, then a lot of times it’s just the way the car is being driven and not the car itself. If you really get 50 percent worse gas mileage, then the Check Engine Light would be on and the car wouldn’t burn right and it wouldn’t run perfectly normal. In this case, I would have the car inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic. They will be able to give your car a complete inspection so that you can have this problem resolved.