Q: Saturn 2002 makes loud noise like it has no mufflerinside the car it doesnt make the loud sound when in reverse or in park

Making loud noise like it has no muffler when I step on the gas pedal but is quiet in park and reverse

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like you may have a clogged catalytic converter. The catalytic converter converts toxic exhaust gases into less harmful pollutants that are suitable to be expelled into the atmosphere. When the catalytic converter is clogged, this causes these gases to be backed up into the exhaust system not allowing the engine to breathe properly. When this happens, the engine is forced to work much harder to expel these gases. This often results in the engine bogging down, hesitating, shaking and causing very poor fuel economy. This should also cause a check engine light to come on as the O2 sensors should be reading the incorrect amounts of oxygen in the exhaust gases if this is your problem. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your catalytic converter.

3. Saturn 2002 makes loud noise like it has no mufflerinside the car it doesnt make the loud sound when in reverse or in park