Q: Rustproofing & rubberized undercoating for 2 cars

My wife and I are moving to a beach front home and we need to rustproof our cars. How much would it cost to be professionally done? She has a 2005 Lexus RX330.

Any part of the vehicle that has already started to rust will continue to rust underneath the coating no matter what type of coating is applied. Modern vehicles already have rustproofing applied at various stages of the production process and I am not aware of any evidence (that is the key, evidence, as in studies) that aftermarket coatings, especially those applied years after the vehicle has been in service, will prevent damage to the steel frame. If the person applying the rust proofing completely removed all traces of rust and then applied an appropriate, effective coating, that would be a different matter entirely. But, that is NOT what these rust proofing companies do because such is incredibly costly due to the amount of labor and the meticulous surface preparation that is required. The bottom line is any typically applied so-called rust proofing is not going to help you and the techniques that would be effective, that is complete restoration of surfaces that ALREADY have started to rust is just not cost-effective. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Rustproofing & rubberized undercoating for 2 cars