Q: Rust problem on newer models

My car recently started getting some rust spots. I did some research, and according to some "Swedish rust tests" performed by Car Magazine, some of the newer Subarus have really bad rust-protectant, and their parts absorb soft water, which causes faster rusting. What do I need to do to protect my car from an early death by rust?

Hello. If you are starting to have rusting issues you need to treat those rusted areas first. Try and remove what you can if there is anything that is loose. If it is fairly solid then you need to put some rust reformer on it. This changes rust into a hard iron compound. Once you treat all of the rusted areas, you need to coat the bottom side of the vehicle with rubberized undercoating to protect it from happening any further. This will increase the overall life of your vehicle’s exterior.

3. Rust problem on newer models