Q: Running hot. Replaced.. fuel pump, thermostat, head gaskets, intake, flushed radiator with clean water, cools down sum when reved up

Running hot. Replaced.. fuelpump, thermostat,head gaskets,intake, radiator cap, flushed radiator with clean water, cools down sum when reved up. Water seeps out while driving but not out of tailpipe. Ive looked it up an the only other thing i can find is it wasnt flushed properly or needs a new fan. Coolant. Can it b electrical? Wat else could it be?

It is common for the water pump impellers to fail on this engine. If the cooling system has been rusty, often times the impeller will simply be compromised because most of it has rusted away. Because your truck seems to cool when the motor is rev’d, this seems like the most likely scenario for you.

To check for this, you need to remove the upper radiator hose once the thermostat has opened. Of course, this will need to be done with the motor very hot. Don’t attempt this without long sleeves, a face shield, and gloves. The other option is to look inside the radiator with the cap off to see if the coolant is moving. This is usually effective, but not always. If you study the cooling system, there will be other hoses you can remove to test the water pump flow.

Once you have removed a hose, start the truck and rev the motor. You should see a substantial amount of coolant shoot out the hose. Be sure to be ready with a catch pan. If you don’t have significant flow, you need a water pump.

You mentioned water seeps out when driving. This needs to be addressed as well. It is possible the cooling system is getting low enough to allow the accumulation of an air bubble. This wouldn’t show up on an initial drive. At least not with a small coolant leak that isn’t obvious. Rent a cooling system pressure tester from your local auto parts store to find the leak. I would do this a long with replacing the water pump as normal practice.

The only reason the flushing properly could be an issue is if the cooling system was in really really bad shape. In which case, flushing it in the correct manner would be necessary. Barring a really bad coolant condition, the flushing should not cause a problem. As for electrical problems, this would only be the issue if the car was cool while driving and overheated when the car was at a stop. If it isn’t this, there is nothing electrical to affect the proper cooling system operation.

If you are still having trouble or would like assistance, consider YourMechanic. One of our technicians can come to your home or office to diagnose your overheating issue and make sure the appropriate repair is made.

3. Running hot. Replaced.. fuel pump, thermostat, head gaskets, intake, flushed radiator with clean water, cools down sum when reved up