Q: Rumbling while accelerating on a 2001 Honda Prelude

2001 Honda Prelude. The car begins to rumble as I accelerate towards 50 mph. Is it an alignment issue?

It could be a lot of things. If you are talking about the steering wheel shaking, it can be tire out of balance, it can be a bad tire that’s got a rip or tear, the belts could be broken inside, or it could be an alignment problem.

The other thing you should realize is that rumbles can come from all kinds of places - not just in the steering wheel. On those Preludes, if the rumble comes from someplace else and the steering wheel isn’t shaking, a lot of times it is the automatic transmission starting to go out, which will cause the rumble symptom. I’ve seen that a lot on those Preludes. That’s one of the big reasons why they don’t make them anymore. They had a lot of transmission problems. So it might need a transmission job.

I don’t know if you want to spend that kind of money for a transmission problem. Because on 2001 Preludes, a transmission job can cost 3500 dollars or more, which is most likely more than the car is worth. Your best bet will be to have the car’s acceleration issue diagnosed by certified professional, like one from YourMechanic. They can let you know if there is anything that can be done to resolve the issue before deciding to overhaul the transmission.