Q: Rubbing sound when starting

I had an accident where my car was straddling an embankment. This I believe, shifted stuff upwards. Now, when I attempt to start the car, it sounds like something is rubbing up against something else.

Hello. I’m sorry to hear about the accident. If everything was shifted upwards, as you mentioned, then a problem can exist from a number of parts. If the noise occurs when starting, then the exhaust may have been pushed up and rubbed on the floorboard. It can also be the subframe being shifted causing some contact with the engine. I would typically get the vehicle in the air to locate the problem. If you need to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to find the problem. Since this condition was likely caused from an accident, you may also want to consider having the vehicle inspected by an auto body shop.

3. Rubbing sound when starting