Q: RPMS rarely go past 3000 except pushing down hard on accelerator

Hello,

I just purchased this car used about two weeks ago. When first driving it I noticed how much more sensitive the accelerator was than my other old car 98 Chrysler concorde. I would put a little pressure, and would see the RPM jump up to around 4000-5000 range and then go back down to normal 2000-3000. This was frequent for the first week n half or so. I noticed two days ago though, the car does not want to go past 3000 rpms anymore, and at times I will push increasingly hard on the accelerator to have it go past it with no luck. If I really push the pedal down, it will go up to the 4000-6000 range but then back down. I've noticed a definite change and wanted to see if this seems like a major or lingering issue? No check engine lights are on or anything, oil and transmission fluid are both full. I would love some insight to this.

Hi there. It’s highly likely that you have a clogged fuel filter or low fuel pressure. It’s also possible that the air filter is dirty and needs to be replaced. In some rare instances, an electrical gremlin with the ignition system can cause the engine to "govern" itself at a certain RPM. The best way to resolve this issue, and probably a good idea since you just purchased the vehicle is to change the fuel filter and air filter for starters. If the problem continues then you may need to have an acceleration diagnosis completed by one of our professional mobile mechanics.

3. RPMS rarely go past 3000 except pushing down hard on accelerator