Q: RPM cable broken

I think my RPM cable might be broken or disconnected. I can start my car, but when I put it into gear, it revs up, but the RPM indicator does not move.

Tachometers don’t run on a cable, they run on an electrical signal. The signal usually comes from the crank sensor. The crank sensor gives the computer vital information to start the vehicle, such as when to deliver spark and fuel, an RPM signal, and when you step on the pedal to pass a car. Since your vehicle runs, I don’t suspect an issue with the sensor itself, but rather the gauge. The stepper motors that run the dash gauges can fail. The solution is to repair the gauge or have the cluster rebuilt. This is something that is usually done by a specialty repair shop.

3. RPM cable broken