Q: Rough shifting when the engine is hot on a 2002 VW Golf 4 TDI

European VW Golf 4 TDI Tiptronic 2002 row 3. The problem is when the engine is hot, it's shifts rough. By the way, we've done all the testing of the computer and no problem. We changed the oil.

A: If it’s having a problem with shifting, obv...

If it’s having a problem with shifting, obviously there’s a problem in the transmission system somewhere. Find a mechanic who has a VAG-COM or similar dealer-level computer for VW’s and have them run a full transmission test on that car. This usually only takes about 20 or 30 minutes. Chances are it will probably find something wrong. Tiptronic’s are very complex, when they start getting older, especially like that one, they start breaking down and can be pricey to get fixed. A certified mechanic would be able to properly diagnose and fix your shifting problem.