Q: Rough shifting, pretty sure the trans needs replacing

The automatic transmission in my 2006 Ford Mustang has been running a little rough for a while now. The car has 74,000 miles on it so I don’t expect it to always be buttery smooth. Now, though, the transmission is making the car nearly unusable and it struggles forever to find the next gear. I think the whole transmission is shot and needs to be replaced. Is that a normal occurrence for a car with this mileage?

You are correct that at 74,000 miles a transmission may not be buttery smooth, but it should not be struggling to find the next gear. Assuming we are referring to the Ford automatic transmission 5R55S that came on the 2006 Mustangs, there are 2 issues that have been verified as causes for these conditions by Ford. They have come up with fixes for them on Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 06-10-5 for fluid leaking and TSB 09-12-12 for transmission loosing gears causing shifting problems. However, Ford will only cover this while vehicle is still under original 3 years/36,000 miles warranty.

It sounds like your complaint may fall into the TSB 09-12-12 for shifting concerns. The problem is an internal issue, excessive wear to the servo pin bore causes burned/damaged band friction material. It has been found that these transmissions usually react worst when hot and when the vehicle has higher miles. If this is the problem, the fix is either a complete rebuild process or replacing the transmission.

This type of repair needs to be done by a qualified transmission repair facility or the dealer. If you decide to go with rebuilding the transmission, I would recommend that you also have the TSB 06-10-5 correction done so you won’t have to deal with that issue in the future.

3. Rough shifting, pretty sure the trans needs replacing