Q: Rough idling, delayed shifting on a '07 Audi

I have an Audi 2.0 TDI 2007. Rough idle and it changes very late at 2900 RPM. Any ideas?

Let me tell you. You’ve got a nine-year-old TDI Audi, and that’s when they often turn into serious money pits. If it’s changing gears too late, odds are that the transmission is starting to go bad. This could be a reason to get rid of that vehicle since rebuilding the transmission on one of those Audis can go anywhere from 4-6,000 dollars and up.

For a rough idle issue, you will want to have a mechanic do a checkup of your car. They can do compression testing to see if the engine is flat wearing out, and can help you determine if it’s still worth keeping. If the engine is wearing out, it may be hard to justify spending the money to rebuild both the engine and the transmission. In my opinion, I would think about getting rid of it soon if I were you.

If you want to have a certified mechanic thoroughly diagnose your rough idling issue, consider YourMechanic. They can come to your home or office to determine if this problem will require major overhauls, or if minor repairs can be done to extend the life of the car.