Q: Rough idle sucking noise - 1989 Plymouth Acclaim

My car idles very rough and has now power. It also makes a sucking noise from the throttle body. I think I fixed all of the leaks in the vacuum system. I have trouble starting my car, but I get it going by flooring the gas pedal when I start it. I cleaned the vacuum lines, replaced the map sensor which had a bad code and replaced the Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Doing all of this hasn’t done any good for my car. Do you have any idea what else it could be?

Hi there, thanks for writing in. If the loud sucking noise isn’t coming from the large throttle body bore, you may still have a vacuum leak present. Any leak after the throttle opening will cause performance issues. The leak can even be at the throttle body seal. If you’d like us to check on this issue for you, a certified mechanic can come to your home or office and smoke test your vehicle to uncover and minuscule leaks, and further inspect the noise issue. If the issues lies with the throttle body itself, we can also replace the throttle body for you.