Q: Rough and slipping automatic trans

I have a bad problem with the automatic transmission in my 2006 Chevrolet Impala slipping and generally not being a very good transmission. This car is at 85,000 miles now and I have already replaced the torque converter once before. If this is the same problem, then should I be inspecting for bigger issues in the drivetrain?

The transmission in your car has many components that could cause the issue of slipping and transmission erratic shifting. Some of the repairs could be minor and others requiring major overhaul of the transmission or replacement with a remanufactured transmission. There is a technical service bulletin (TSB) that may be the cause for your particular problem. The TSB 01-07-30-038D dated 9/12/2006 is a check for a transmission code P0757 in the stored memory of the transmission with drive complaints such as slipping. The TSB calls for removal of the transmission valve body in the transmission pan and check for chunks of debris blocking valve body ports. If large pieces are found then the transmission may need overhaul and it’s complete system flushed out and the valve body solenoids without internal screens replaced. The first step would be to have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, check and scan for the codes in the transmission control module to verify the problems and then decide on needed repairs to transmission.

3. Rough and slipping automatic trans