Q: Rotors pads replacement - 2013 Infiniti FX37

My car has about 30,500 miles. So I brought it up to the dealership for routine maintenance. They said that the front rotors needed to be replaced with pads. Do you think this is right? Do I really need these now?

Hello. Nissan recommends inspecting the vehicle’s brakes at around 35k miles, as some vehicles brake pads can wear more rapidly than others. Brake pad wear depends entirely on driving conditions, so it may be possible that the pads are indeed worn to the point of requiring replacement. I would ask the dealership for the brake pad specification that they retrieved from the vehicle.

If the pads have less than three millimeters of friction lining remaining, I would consider replacing the pads. In regards to the rotors, in some instances the rotors may be resurfaced and reused. However, that depends again, on the driving conditions and the wear on the rotor. At low mileage it is likely that the rotors are still in good enough shape to at least be resurfaced, however a measurement would be required to know exactly. A thorough inspection of the vehicle’s brakes would help determine exactly what needs to be replaced.