Q: Right front disc brake seizing

"The right front disc brake has been seizing. To explain, the rotor was not rotating at all. The mechanic did the following:

• replaced the rubber hose from the frame to caliper

• installed a remanufactured caliper

• connected the rubber hose to the caliper

• opened the bleeder and then let gravity bleed until the brake fluid was flowing thru clear tubing to container catching the brake fluid

• bled (pump brake open bleeder fitting, close bleeder fitting, etc.) right front with person in car operating brake pedal with engine off

• started engine and repeated the bleeding process

The brake pedal is fair... ‘But’ the right front caliper has excessive drag (3 times plus/minus more drag) than the left front caliper… ‘But’ the right front caliper no longer seizes. I would appreciate your advice and giving me your diagnosis and the fix."

It is possible that the newly installed caliper was faulty. It is also possible that the wheel bearing on the right front wheel is completely destroyed and no longer able to rotate. This issue may also cause an ABS or TRAC light to come on.

I would recommend taking the vehicle back to the mechanic that installed the brake parts and ask them to take another look at your vehicle. It is very possible that the repair may be under warranty if the caliper is proven to be defective. If it turns out that the wheel bearing is faulty, you may save money on labor since the vehicle will already be off the ground and the wheel would be off.

If you’d like a second opinion on this, feel free to contact a professional mechanic who can perform a firsthand diagnoses of your brake system and fix it accordingly at your own convenience.