Q: Right front ball joint excessive play and needs to be replaced. 2009 Nissan Versa

In June this year during a coil spring change recall, dealer said the left lower ball joint was loose and needed to be replaced. I got it done for cash as car had just come out of warranty. This week during oil change they say that the right ball joint excessive play, needs replacement. My wife drives carefully, car pools and therefore drives twice to work in her car. Distance each day is 60 miles both ways. Well maintained car, with krown rust protection every year. I am beginning to doubt the integrity of the dealer. What is my best option, please? Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Hello - yes, the Recall was for front spring issues. While it is not common for ball joints to fail at your mileage, many factors come into play: potholes and road conditions where you drive, stop and go vs smooth highway motoring, etc. I would recommend an inspection of the front suspension by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. This will validate the claim of the mechanic (or not) if you don’t have complete faith in the previous diagnosis. Failing ball joints may not provide as noticeable symptoms as other suspension components, but they are are certainly dangerous when they fail.

• Right front ball joint excessive play and needs to be replaced. 2009 Nissan Versa