Q: Replacing standard with automatic transmission on a VW Golf3

I bought a used 100,000 kilometer VW Golf3 a couple of days ago. Would I be abe to make that automatic transmission given how small the car is? Can you make an automatic transmission on a motorcycle?

A: If you have a manual transmission, you don’...

If you have a manual transmission, you don’t want to switch it to an automatic transmission. It is too much work. Wiring harnesses would have to be changed and the computer would have to be changed. You don’t really want to mess with that.

As for motorcycles, it would be kind of pointless. Honda actually made an automatic transmission 7.50 Honda years ago. It was a piece of junk and everybody hated it. They didn’t sell and they didn’t make it anymore. You are best to have a standard transmission clutch on a motorcycle because you can get more pickup and more response. People like them. Self-made automatic transmissions on motorcycles have pretty much failed. A lot of those Mopeds do have those CVT transmissions with slipper clutches on them. They don’t shift gears and they’ve been like that for a long time, but they don’t have that much acceleration.