Q: Replacement key for a new ignition switch

Hello and Thanks in advance. I have lost my truck key for the ignition switch, which is a replacement for the OEM.

My question is, Would my mechanic who replaced the ignition switch still have the required info on file to be able to make a spare?

This ignition switch was replaced approximately 1 1/2yrs ago. Made a spare and apparently the two have run off together into the 5th dimension.

Again, thanks for your time. Steven.

If the ignition lock was replaced with a GM piece, ordered through a dealer service department by your VIN number, then it may be as easy as ordering new keys from the dealer in the same manner, by your VIN. If the ignition was replaced with an aftermarket piece, then most likely, a locksmith may be your only alternative It wouldn’t hurt to contact the shop that installed it to see if they are of any assistance.

3. Replacement key for a new ignition switch