Q: Replaced the transmission with a 04 tranny and it shifts funny when I I'm coming to a stop. It's like a straight shift sometimes

Changed trannys put a 05 trans in it an it shifts but it don't gear itself down like it should. An don't seem to have power like the other tranny I put the natural safety switch off my o2 on it case the plug wasn't the same on the o5 granny on the neutral safety switch could this be my problem.

Hi there. The problem is the generation of the transmission is different, meaning the wiring harness inside the transmission is different. However, the range selector will not cause the transmission to not shift to the lower gears. The newer version of the transmission is designed to downshift when under throttle conditions and not under speed conditions.

GM has designed their new transmissions like this because drivers were complaining that the vehicle will jerk around as the transmission down shifted. The transmission will down shift back to 1st gear when the vehicle is at 5 mph or less. The other times when the vehicle is slowed down, when the driver demands more throttle, the transmission will downshift to allow the transmission to apply torque. There is nothing wrong with the transmission. If you have an issue with the transmission shifting manually, then replace the range selector. If you need further assistance diagnosing your vehicle’s shifting problem, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help resolve this problem.

3. Replaced the transmission with a 04 tranny and it shifts funny when I I'm coming to a stop. It's like a straight shift sometimes