Q: Replaced DVD player & SUV's interior lights quit working

In our SUV, we replaced an old DVD player with a new one. The wiring was all the same and nothing had to be added or removed. The DVD works well and it is set up to shut off completely when the SUV is turned off - and it functions that way. The problem we are having is: when the door is opened, the dome lights won’t turn on and the map lights and vanity lights don’t work either. I found the override button to the dome light, pushed it, and then all the interior lights worked well. Then I disconnected the DVD player to put the trip around it, reconnected the connections, and fixed it to the ceiling of the SUV. Now… the dome lights, map and vanity lights do not work! The door had been open for an extended amount of time while working on the DVD and perhaps the Battery Rundown Protection had kicked in. The SUV starts fine, with no hesitation. All dash lights, steering wheel lights, and radio work, but not the dome, map, or vanity lights. I’m reading the manual to find how to reset it so that the interior lights will work again. It says to shut all the doors, turn off all the lights, and turn the key to the RUN position. However, since the light won’t come on, I can't tell if the light is off or not. Nothing happened when I clicked all the lights. So I hit the dome override and tried again, but still nothing! When I installed the DVD player, if wires touched, could it have blown a fuse and what do you think is the problem?

Hello. It sounds like a fuse may have blown or interior light wiring may have been damaged. It is also possible that the bulbs have blown out. First check the DVD player wiring where the DVD player is mounted and look for wires that are broken, bare, frayed, melted, or touching other wires. You could use a test light or fuse checker to see if the fuses are working properly.