Q: removing cylinder heads

i have a 95 lincoln tc sig. that jumped timing a week or two ago, and i am going to be fixing it this weekend and was thinking about changing the head gaskets while im that deep in the engine, i am the original owner and the car has never had any overheating issues but if i do remove the cylinder heads would i have to get them remachined or can i just replace the gaskets and avoid spending another $250 to take them to the shop for service.

Having the cylinder head ’deck’ surfaced is a best practice for mechanical service anytime they are removed. If this step is not completed, the possibility of gasket leakage and potential coolant exposure is increased. I’d bite the bullet and pay the extra $250 to have the work done; as it will end up costing you a lot more in repairs down the road.

3. removing cylinder heads