Q: Regular headlight beams are really not useful

I have not had any big issues with my 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe so far in the 25,000 miles I have driven it. My only complaint is about the low beams. They are so weak they may as well be running lights. I hate them and I always have to have the high beams on when I am out of the city. Is there an easy remedy for this or it just high beams from here on out?

The head lights on the Santa Fe are high intensity display (HID) style lights and the bulb will dim over time instead of burning out. The dim bulbs indicate that they are going bad and it is time to replace them. The high beams have not started to dim yet since they are not used as often. On average these bulbs need to be replaced every 2 to 3 years. They do make aftermarket bulbs that claim better lighting and a longer lifespan than the OEM (original equipment manufacturer). My suggestion is to replace your bulbs with the same part number as the ones taken out. They can be made by another manufacturer, but should be of the same or greater brightness level when new. If you decide on aftermarket bulbs, then make sure they are compatible, or you may encounter melting wiring or other issues.

3. Regular headlight beams are really not useful