Q: Recurring starting problems

I’m having recurring starting problems with my truck. It happens about every 12 to 14 tries when starting my car. I turn the key in the ignition and nothing happens. My dashboard lights up when I turn key off and try again to start my truck. It will finally start, but it's happening more and more often. Do you know what is causing this problem? What should I do to fix it?

A: In your vehicle, the Engine Control Module ...

In your vehicle, the Engine Control Module (ECM) directly controls the starter relay to engage the starter and start your vehicle. When the ignition switch is turned to the start position, a 12 volt signal is sent to the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM then communicates the start command to the ECM. The ECM the signal from the transmission position switch to ensure the vehicle is in park. If everything looks good, it supplies the 12 volts needed to start your vehicle. Intermittent no crank, no start problems are often caused by a faulty starter motor. Other potential causes include a sticking starter relay, faulty transmission range position switch, or a problem with the BCM or ECM. I suggest you have a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your starting problem and repair your Cadillac firsthand.