Q: Recommendation on buying a family car

I'm thinking of buying a family car. Do you have any recommendations? I see Toyota Ipsum Odyssey Wish or Picnic.

A: There are tons of options for family cars. ...

There are tons of options for family cars. For vans, I would stay away from the Odyssey. The Honda Odysseys had problems in the last decade and a half with the horrible automatic transmissions breaking down. Honda did replace quite a few of them for free for people. But let's face it, who wants a vehicle that has an automatic transmission that costs thousands of dollars to fix and then have even more work done after. I would stick to Toyota if I were you. They make the best vans. Their vans seem to hold up the absolute longest.

If it's just a plain car that you are looking for, Camries are excellent and so are Corolllas if you don't have a large family. People always say to me, "We need more room than that." My two big sons grew up with a Toyota Corolla 4 door and we went around the country driving it. So there is plenty of room for the average person most of the time.

Whichever car ends up at the top of your list, I would recommend having a pre-purchase inspection done before officially handing your money over. That way, you can help ensure the car is in good condition and that your family can grow in a lasting and reliable car.