Q: recieved car back after trans replacement and parking brake handle was limp and not engaging back down.

Had my car in to have a new transmission put in and it was returned to me with the parking brake handle loose. Upon inspection the dealership told me it was the parking brake shoes and that the pads on the parking brake shoes were so worn that it wasn't their fault. I need to know if there's even pads on this part of the brake system? And an explanation of whether this sounds like BS to a mechanic or not.

Does the parking brake still work at all? This car uses a rear brake rotor that you would see on a normal disc brake system, but inside of the rotor is a small drum parking brake system that consists of shoes and springs and they hold the vehicle from moving on the rear wheels only. The shoes have brake material on them just like normal brake pads would and they do wear out over time. If the shoes did in fact wear down all the way, the parking brake handle could feel very loose as it tries to apply the brake shoes to the drum surface. Its also possible that the parking brake cable broke, came disconnected, or seized in the housing, all of which could also cause a loose parking brake handle. That said, it would be very strange for the parking brake shoes to wear out completely only after being returned from the dealer. I suggest having an independent technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your parking brake issue and find the true cause. Yourmechanic offers certified technicians that can come out and diagnose your issue at your home or office, and will happily explain everything that happened to you.

3. recieved car back after trans replacement and parking brake handle was limp and not engaging back down.