Q: Q: Rebuilt transmission and strut mounts

Just spoke to customer service to get a " your mechanic " to inspect a car I am considering buying. Because you do not inspect in my zipcode, she suggested I e-mail you for advice. It is a 2008 Saturn Vue V6 with a 3.6 litre engine. It currently has 128,000 miles. The transmission was rebuilt at 127,000 miles. The strut mounts were replaced this week, before I learned the car was for sale. My concern is, can I rely on a rebuilt transmission? Why would you have to rebuild the transmission; are Saturns known for faulty transmissions? And, if the transmission has been rebuilt, does that mean the engine will need be replacing soon? As for the strut mount replacement, why would they have replaced them? Is this car known for a loud or tinny ride? I was told that most rebuilt transmissions only last until the warranty expires. They are asking $ 6000. U.S. dollars for this car. Is this a fair price, or should I negotiate a lower price because of the car's history? Thanks, Patricia

Hi Patricia:

In general, the Saturn tends to wear out components quickly after it reaches the 100,000 mile mark. The transmission is separate from the engine, however, the internal hydraulic lines inside the transmissions on these Saturn’s tend to become loose; causing internal leaking and excessive damage. This is what causes the transmission to be rebuilt, but if it was slipping, it’s possible that damage to the flywheel may have occurred. Depending on who did the rebuild on the transmission will indicate how long it should last. As opposed to negotiating a lower price due to vehicle history, I’d choose a different vehicle; as you don’t want to be stuck with a lemon that will cost you a lot of money to maintain down the road.

3. Q: Rebuilt transmission and strut mounts