Q: Rear windows not working, heating issue

Hi. Just bought a 1999 E240 Elegance recently and realized the rear windows are not working.Is this related to a blown out fuse somewhere or a mechanical issue maybe behind the door panel?Any ideas? Also the heating came on suddenly blowing at full speed. can it be a loose connection maybe that causing this?The button came off when tried to turn it off ,as I put it back on pressed it hard against the console and stopped. Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you have two electrical issues, one relating to the power windows and the other involving control of the HVAC blower motor. With regard to the windows, yes a blown fuse is always a possible "fault" in a circuit but fuses almost always fail due to an underlying fault in the circuit itself and that underlying fault has to be found and repaired prior to just simply replacing the fuse. Fuses are protective devices and just simply shut down a circuit if the circuit itself has a serious fault. It is possible that a mechanical restriction (even something as simple as ice) has prevented the window from moving, thence overloading the window motor, and blowing the fuse. That sort of possibility is investigated in any diagnostic though. The blower problem is probably more straightforward. The blower control switch has to be tested and the circuit inspected for proper connections and operation. If a resistor block is used in your application, that would be tested to see if a fault there is implicated in the problem. Based on what you are describing I suggest you request an electrical components diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will diagnose these faults and estimate the required repairs and cost. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.